The Dark Shadow Shrine

embrace the darkness; that you may see the light nestled within it......

Friday, April 26, 2024

When distance makes friendships more cherished

Click HERE

But when it works, those video calls work wonders at making people feel more connected – sometimes even more so than after face-to-face gatherings.

Science tells us that talking and hugging are good for us, releasing a feel-good hormone called oxytocin, which is sometimes termed the “cuddle hormone”.  Oxytocin makes people, especially women, feel happy and less stressed. As I stood with my arms around my friends of 40 years, ....I voiced the thought in my heart: “This is why I need to come back to see you all face to face, because a video call can’t do this.”

The sad reality though is that some friendships will fade as people move away. The sheer tyranny of distance – of time, and of space – means it will get harder for friends to find common ground when their daily lives diverge. So even as I do my best to maintain ties with friends in Singapore, a part of me lives in resigned sadness that some of those ties will fade with time.

Qn: To what extent has social media devalued true friendship in your society? (Cam. 2021)