The Dark Shadow Shrine

embrace the darkness; that you may see the light nestled within it......

Sunday, January 01, 2023

Why you should not turn your hobby into work

Click HERE
If can't access above link, click HERE

Consider this argument (in title above) as a rebuttal to the oft-cited point that "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a single day in your life' (allegedly by Confucius or Mark Twain)

See also how this guy put it HERE:  “I enjoy playing the piano and also my other hobbies such as playing the guitar, skateboarding and BMX riding, but for me, these activities are a way to escape and de-stress, so I would rather not turn it into a career.”

A hobby, by definition, is supposed to be something you pursue outside of your job for relaxation.

Of course, you can have hobbies that are mentally or physically challenging, such as chess or hiking. However, a hobby is no longer a hobby once you add a price tag and start to sell your wares to consumers. That is a job. 

As this became my full-time career, the work, despite being aligned with my areas of interest and skill, lost the fun factor that motivated me in the beginning.

Qn: 'Salary is everything when choosing a career today.' Do you agree? (CJC Promos 2022)